Thursday, January 2, 2020

Tanar'ri, Greater - Babau

Tanar'ri, Greater - Babau

Climate/Terrain: The Abyss
Frequency: Uncommon
Organization: Solitary
Activity Cycle: Any
Diet: Carnivore
Intelligence: Genius (17-18)
Treasure: D
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Number Appearing: 1 (rarely: 1-2)
Armor Class: -3
Movement: 15
Hit Dice: 8+14
THAC0: 13
Number of Attacks: 1 or 3
   Claws (x2): d4+1, d4+1
   Horn: 2d4
   by Weapon
   ALL +7 (19 Strength Bonus)
Special Attacks: 
   Darkness 15' Radius (per spell, Tanar'ri Ability)
   Dispel Magic (per spell, Babau Ability)
   Fear (per spell, Babau Ability)
   Gate, per spell: 1-6 Cambions (40% chance) or 1 Babau (40% chance), 1/day. Though if a Babau is attacked, there is a 20% chance that a True Tanar'ri will come to it's aid.
   Heat Metal (per spell, Babau Ability)
   Ray of Enfeeblement (per spell, Babau Ability) by gaze, range of 20'. Affects 1 target per round, in addition to normal attacks.
Special Defenses: 
   Immune to non-magical Fire, Lightning and Poison
   Takes half damage from Magical Fire, Cold and Gas
   Takes half damage from all Slashing and Piercing weapons, due to protective jelly secreting from skin. This fluid has 20% per hit to corrode metal weapons, which must save vs. acid or corrode. Normal weapons become useless. Magical Weapons lose one "plus." Does d6 Acid damage to exposed flesh. (Babau ability)
   +1 or better Weapons to hit, but takes full damage from Iron Weapons, half damage from Silver
Special Abilities:
   9th Level Thief Abilities (PP 30%, OL 30%, F/RT 25%, MS 95%, HS 80%, DN 35%, CW 90%, RL 30%, Backstab (x4))
   Fly (per spell, Babau Ability)
   Infravision (per spell, Tanar'ri Ability)
   Levitate (per spell, Babau Ability)
   Polymorph Self (per spell, Babau Ability)
   Teleport Without Error (per spell, Tanar'ri Ability)
   Telepathy/Tongues (Tanar'ri ability): Can communicate Telepathically with any intelligent life form regardless language barriers.
Special Weaknesses:
   Takes full damage from Iron Weapons, half damage from Silver
Magic Resistance: 50%
Size: M (7 feet tall)
Morale: Champion (15-16)
XP Value: 17,000

Note: Their favored weapons are usually large Pole Arms, though they can use any weapon they find. 20% of the time these weapons are enchanted. (select from page 140 of the 2e DMG)

Source: 2nd Edition AD&D 2602, Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix, page 95

Ed's Notes: These guys are the official Blood War recruiters of the Tanar'ri.  They're despised by other Tanar'ri for this, but this is why they enjoy special protection from the True Tanar'ri.

No comments:

Post a Comment